Monday, July 23, 2012

Natives

What do you think of when you hear the word, "native"? I was recently on a road trip with my daughter, Mikayla, who loves to sketch. Soon after we drive past a sign for a farmer's market, she laughs under her breath and quickly begins to sketch. Looking down, I see she has drawn a plump tomato with a headdress made from basil leaves, wielding a somewhat crude hatchet. Apparently, it is her version of a "native" tomato. Laughter and fresh food.... they are both so very good for you. I was reminded this yet again at last Thursday's farmer's market in front of Central School. Kathy Adams and her son Liam met me at the hoop house, and we shared stories and laughs as we harvested beans, kale, swiss chard, mixed greens, cucumbers and blueberries. Every once in awhile Liam would let out a yelp, holding up a giant bean or bouquet of kale. We hauled our catch to the front of the school, setting up a table in a row with SOBO Central Lanternfest's table and the Hot Summer Nights' concession stand. Liam was kept busy selling produce. I think our favorite customer was second grade student, Adia, she sure likes cucumbers! We made $45, selling all but a few bags of dinosaur kale. Those went home and became kale chips for my own family! Are you sad you missed us? We'll be back every Thursday at 6:30 until the end of the Hot Summer Nights' Concerts. Music, laughter and fresh food... hmm.... makes sense to me!




No comments: